The Culture in PM
Culture is something that should come naturally in a group or an organization and not everyone could adapt with certain kind of culture. In project management, there is a term in the tune of “project management culture” which pertains to the norms and ways of people in a project.
In order to adapt with this culture, there should be steps that should be taken in order to ensure that this would run smoothly. Stephen Seay’s blog offers some steps which should be considered whenever such subject is encountered in the course of Project management.
First Steps in PM Culture
- clear definition of roles and responsibilities of Project managers and team members
- forming a basic training plan for project management
- leaders and other supervisors should have advanced training in PM
- establish project management office (PMO) to provide guidance to the progress of PM
- estabish a standard in PM methodology
Additional Project Management Quotes
Here are some of additional PM quotes that could enlighten people in a PM-related work:
Quantitative project management is for predicting cost and schedule overruns well in advance.Good project managers know when not to manage a project.
Metrics are learned men’s excuses.
For a project manager overruns are as certain as death and taxes.
If there were no problem people there’d be no need for people who solve problems.
Some projects finish on time in spite of project management best practices.
Good project managers admit mistakes: that’s why you so rarely meet a good project manager.
Fast – cheap – good: you can have any two.
There is such a thing as an unrealistic timescale.
The more ridiculous the deadline the more money will be wasted trying to meet it.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time the last 10% takes the other 90%.
Thoughts and Insights
The culture of a project usually determines how a team would go about their work. This is the reason why some team usually incorporate important values in their working habit. For example, if a team happens to practice a well-planned and organized culture, the chances of a project being done on time and on schedule would be high. Through practicing these steps mentioned in the article, teams would be more or less inclined to give their all whenever doing something that is work-related.